Equality, diversity and inclusion is a key focus for SDS as reflected in our most recent Equality Mainstreaming report.
The SDS Evaluation and Research team provides high quality, robust evidence and insight to support SDS in meeting its goals in relation to equality, diversity and inclusion. This includes research on the careers, service; apprenticeships programmes; support for employers; and SDS as an organisation.
While the E&R team carries out equalities analysis for each survey, the aim of this internship is to support the E&R team to carry out in-depth equality analysis across a range of our projects with young people, including:
- Young People’s Career Ambitions (YPCA).
- Young People in Scotland survey (with Ipsos MORI).
- The Pupil Voice.
- Apprenticeship outcomes.
PhD intern would:
- Work closely with other members of the E&R team to develop and complete the research.
- Carry out analysis of the above projects to understand how equality and diversity impacts on the learning and career journeys of young people. This would include quantitative analysis by gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, poverty and care experience. Qualitative analysis of open-ended responses may also be required.
- Synthesise the findings to develop a narrative explaining the impact of equality characteristics on the outcomes of young people. For example, what is the gendered nature of responses across all our surveys and what does that tell us about the different perceptions of girls and young women.
- Identify any gaps in knowledge, or areas for further research in relation to equality and diversity.
- Identify potential areas of further qualitative research which will increase our understanding of equality issues.
- Produce a range of outputs suitable for sharing with a wide range of policy audiences.
- Present your research findings to a range of audiences in SDS