INTERNSHIPS - Open Call
Our Internships Open Call Competition runs twice a year in January and June, for internships starting from spring or autumn onwards.
We work with the Scottish Government, Skills Development Scotland, NHS Health Scotland, Healthcare Improvement Scotland, and others to offer a range of three month internship opportunities working at the interface of academia, policy, practice and industry. This highly successful programme is one of the foundation stones of the SGSSS and has seen more than 250 PhD students placed since 2013.
- Internships are advertised on our Current Opportunities webpages.
- Our spring internships call will open in late January with a deadline of the end of February
- Our autumn internships call will open in early June with a deadline of the end of July
- You must be a PhD student registered at a Scottish university in any social science discipline.
- You must be in 2nd or 3rd year, and with more than 6 months left of your PhD at the date of the start of the internship.
- You must be eligible to work in the UK.
- Due to UKBA regulations, students on Tier 4 visa are not eligible to apply for internships with the Scottish Government and other public bodies. We occasionally offer opportunities for international students to get involved with our scheme – please see individual internship opportunities for more details.
The internship has changed my perspective on future career plans. I now understand that there are other environments where you can utilise your research skills outside academia. I’ve really enjoyed working in government and would now definitely consider this as a good option for a future career.
– PhD Intern with Scottish Government