The Scottish Graduate School of Social Science (SGSSS) can provide match-funding of £2,750 for a 12 week, full time PhD Internship with a business or industry partner.
The social sciences have a great deal to offer private sector organisations – from informing policy and strategy, understanding the potential for new goods, services and business models, to providing future employees.
The objectives of the SGSSS Innovation Internships Scheme are:
- Initiate collaborations or enhance existing relationships between academic and business or industry partners leading to longer-term self-sustaining activities, including those coming through ISCF and NPIF;
- Provide opportunities to enhance understanding in industry of what social science research can offer to their business;
- Enhance employability through the development transferable skills for our researchers, whilst providing tangible value to a host organisation.
SGSSS Internships provide businesses with:
- Access to highly skilled early career social scientists from our 16 member universities across Scotland;
- A motivated team member, increasing capacity for work that businesses may not otherwise have the resource to do;
- Access to specialist knowledge and research skills, including high level quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis;
- Access to new ideas, insights and perspectives;
- Apportunities for creating and developing networks with academia.
There are two routes into the scheme: PhD students can apply with their academic supervisor and a business partner for funding through our student-led call; or businesses can apply for funding for a specific project through our industry-led call and SGSSS will promote to PhD students through an open application process. Click on the links below for more information.