INTERNSHIPS - Open Call Competition
We are now inviting applications for paid internships starting in January 2021.
Internship opportunities are available with the public body Healthcare Improvement Scotland and with the international consultancy IOD Parc.
These placements are designed to enable researchers to make a meaningful difference to the aims and outcomes of a non-academic partner organisation. They are also an excellent opportunity to develop your transferable skills, sector knowledge, and build your networks.
Three reasons to consider an internship in 2020/21
- The experience of collaboration and skills that you develop will be useful for academic or non-academic career pathways
- Former PhD interns have had their work published and won prizes with their internship outputs
- Doing an internship can open up new career paths and enhance employability – former SGSSS interns have secured permanent employment after their PhD
View opportunities and apply now. The deadline for all placements is Wednesday 21 October at 5pm.
Undertaking an internship through the SGSSS gives you an opportunity to make a difference to a partner organisation, whilst also developing your transferable skills, experience of collaboration, and network of contacts. The placements therefore provide an excellent opportunity to use your existing skills to create impact, and support your development for future academic or non-academic careers.
- You must be a PhD student registered at a Scottish university in a social science discipline
- You must be in your 2nd or 3rd year of study when the internship starts, with more than 3 months left of your PhD at the start of the internship
- You must be eligible to work in the UK
The placements that are offered in each competition vary depending on the need of the host organisation and their priorities at the time. You can see some former projects in our internship case studies.
Yes. All interns receive payment equivalent to UKRI doctoral stipend levels.
The SGSSS wants to ensure that all our internship placements are accessible for the best candidate. We fund up to £2400 expenses in addition to the internship payment, which can be used to travel to/from the internship or to support you in finding accommodation for the duration of the internship. We also expect most internship projects to take place remotely in 2020/21, due to the ongoing uncertainty for workplaces with Covid-19.