SDS Collaborative STUDENTSHIP Competition 2021/22
The 2021/22 competition has now officially launched. please submit an application by the deadline of 29 October at 12pm (midday).
The Scottish Graduate School of Social Science is delighted to announce the launch of the Skills Development Scotland (SDS) Collaborative Supervisor-led Competition 2021/22
Skills Development Scotland and the SGSSS are looking to fund up to four new PhD studentships, starting in October 2022. This research will provide new knowledge and insights to help advance the understanding of key skills issues from a Scottish perspective.
The purpose of the SDS-SGSSS PhD scheme is to engage with the academic community to support the production of new, high-quality research focused on the Scottish labour market. The scheme is led by supervisors, and designed to:
- Contribute to the development of a cadre of high-quality academic researchers with a deep knowledge of the Scottish skills landscape.
- Provide SDS with access to high-quality academic research around topics of longer-term interest.
- Increase the range and scope of SDS engagement with academic experts in support of skills policy.
The first supervisor must be a member of a HEI in Scotland that is accredited to hold studentships within their disciplinary pathway, and must have undergone supervisor training within their institution within the last 5 years.
Second supervisors may work within any of the SGSSS 16 partner HEIs. We encourage applicants to consider co-supervision with different universities across our network. You can find full information about the SGSSS partner universities online here.
Each year SDS invite proposals based on specific research topics. The 2021/22 topics are:
- Labour market outcomes and pathways for care experienced young people
- The economic benefits of work-based learning and Foundation Apprenticeships
- Poverty, social disadvantage and social mobility in Scotland’s skills landscape
- Transformative skills and implications for skills development
Please read the competition guidance carefully, paying particular attention to the role of SDS in the recruitment process and project support.
Please submit an application via our new application system, SGSSS Apply, by the deadline of 29 October at 12pm (midday).