Skills Development Scotland Collaborative Studentship Competition 2022/23
The 2021/22 competition is now complete. Please check back in August 2022 for details of the 2022/23 competition round, including how and when to apply.
The 2022/23 competition will open for applications on 31 August 2022
This competition has now closed for applications
The Scottish Graduate School of Social Science is delighted to announce the launch of the supervisor-led Skills Development Scotland Collaborative Studentship Competition 2022/23
Skills Development Scotland (SDS) and the SGSSS are looking to fund up to four new PhD studentships, starting in October 2023. This research will provide new knowledge and insights to help advance the understanding of key skills issues from a Scottish perspective.
The purpose of this PhD scheme is to engage with the academic community to support the production of new, high-quality research focused on the Scottish labour market. The scheme is led by supervisors, and designed to:
- Contribute to the development of a cadre of high-quality academic researchers with a deep knowledge of the Scottish skills landscape.
- Provide SDS with access to high-quality academic research around topics of longer-term interest.
- Increase the range and scope of SDS with academic experts in support of skills policy.
The first supervisor must be a member of a HEI in Scotland that is accredited to hold studentships within their disciplinary pathway, and must have undergone supervisor training within their institution within the last 5 years.
Second supervisors may work within any of the SGSSS 16 partner HEIs. We encourage applicants to consider co-supervision with different universities across our network. You can find full information about the SGSSS partner universities online here.
SDS invite proposals based on the below research topics:
1. Understanding career decision making using data from Growing Up in Scotland (GUS)
2. Role of skills in addressing economic inactivity in Scotland
3. Productivity, skills, and digital transformation
4. Role of skills in supporting entrepreneurship among young people
Please read the competition guidance carefully, paying particular attention to the role of SDS in the recruitment process and project support.
Please submit an application via our application system, SGSSS Apply, by the application deadline of 27 October at 4pm.