INTERNSHIPS - CURRENT OPPORTUNITIES
Please see below information about live and upcoming internship opportunities with SGSSS.
Applications are now open for the following opportunities through the Summer Term Internships Competition.
Summer Term Open Call Competition: The Summer Term Open Call Competition will open in February 2021. This call will be for placements starting from May 2021. There will be placements available with partners in the public sector, such as the Scottish Government, as well as with socially-minded start-up businesses.
Student-Led Internships Scheme: If you know a non-academic partner organisation that you would like to work with, you can propose a project to the SGSSS any time.
All placements are paid at UKRI doctoral stipend levels. The opportunities are open to PhD social science researchers across Scotland, regardless of funding source. Please see below for more information about the placements. The deadline to apply is 12pm on Monday 01 March 2021.
Interested in applying? Check out our Internships FAQs to find out more about the scheme. Students are also welcome to attend our upcoming information events:
Audit Scotland provides the Auditor General and the Accounts Commission with the services they need. Audit Scotland gives independent assurance to the people of Scotland that public money is spent properly, efficiently and effectively.
The successful PhD intern will:
- Research the different regional economies and drivers of economic growth across Scotland;
- Produce an internal report pulling together key findings.
The data will be used to inform Audit Scotland’s understanding of how Scotland’s regions differ, and how budget and policy decisions, public sector challenges and performance measures align to it. For more information and to apply, please see the information attached.
Pawprint is a start-up technology company with the goal to empower millions of people to fight climate change by providing a tool that allows them to easily measure, understand and reduce their carbon footprint.
The successful PhD intern will join Pawprint’s team to:
- Analyse behavioural change models and make recommendations as to which ones are likely to be the most impactful;
- Make recommendations as to how these research models could be incorporated into the technology and what new features would drive behavioural change;
- Analyse Pawprint’s technology, alongside competitor’s technology, to compare strengths and weaknesses through the lens of behavioural change.
For more information and to apply, please see the information attached.
The Scottish Government
The Scottish Government is the devolved government for Scotland and has a range of responsibilities that include: the economy, education, health, justice, rural affairs, housing, environment, equal opportunities, consumer advocacy and advice, transport and taxation.
There are more than 30 placements available across different teams in the Scottish Government. Applicants can apply for up to 4 placements (and complete 1). For details about all the placements and application process, please see the information attached.
Yaldi Games is a micro studio with the mission to create meaningful games with environmental, social and cultural impact. Founded by Elena Höge with the art direction of Jana Höge, Yaldi’s vision is to rise up and create its own genre of meaningful games.
The successful PhD intern will research the effectiveness of Yaldi Games’ app Wholesome to take positive action after completing mobile video games about foraging, cooking and crafting. For more information and to apply, please see the information documents attached.
- Spring Term Open Call Competition: We will be opening the Spring Term Open Call competition with two internship opportunities on Monday 14 February.
- Student-Led Internships Scheme: If you know a non-academic partner organisation that you would like to work with, you can propose a project to the SGSSS any time.